Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Friday, June 23, 2006

 
Broke Back Baby

I thought I finally got this motherhood thing figured out. For a week we were eating and napping on a schedule. John and I were able to enjoy dinners together because we could predict when he would be hungry and when he would be napping. Vince saw I was getting it too easy so he decided to throw some salt in my game. He started looking like he was having a nightmare every time he nursed. He alternated attacking me and crying for an hour. He also started coughing and sneezing. Being the calm and collected mom that I've become, I immediately called the pediatrician's office. The nurse said Vince was too young for drugs but to come in if he had a fever. I asked the nurse, how do I know if he has a fever? Reply - if he has a rectal temperature > 100.5 F. What about if I take his temperature under the arm? Reply - no, it has to be rectal. I called John and told him he had to take Vince's temperature rectally when he got home. When John came home, he chickened out and kept saying Vince was probably ok. I had to know if he had a fever so I prepared the vaseline. I dreaded putting something in his tooshie. I kept picturing first this surprised look on his little face followed immediately by screaming and crying. I put him on his tummy and inserted the dreaded device. Surprisingly, he was relatively calm. No crying, no screaming, no fever. Now that I know it's no biggie to take his temperature, I may start taking it whenever I think something is wrong. Which is probably going to be every week. Poor Vince.

ADVANTAGE: Mama


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?